[CentOS] Looking for a good disk exerciser

Mark Hull-Richter mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 16:29:43 UTC 2007

Capstone (so to speak):

I booted from the Seagate CD and ran both the quick and full diagnostics on
the disk.  It failed them both.

Now I'm wondering what's the best way to destroy all the data on the drive
so I can return it without my stuff, unreliable or not, on it.

I suppose a dd from /dev/zero to the whole disk might work - am I right?
I'm not sure what block size or how many - it's a 400Gb drive....

Thanks.

Mark Hull-Richter, Linux Kernel Engineer
DATAllegro (www.datallegro.com)
85 Enterprise, Second Floor, Aliso Viejo, CA  92656
949-680-3082 - Office     949-330-7691 - fax