[Fwd: [CentOS] 4.92 beta update to centos5 proper words of caution]

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sat Apr 14 12:18:17 UTC 2007

Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 4/12/07, Peter Gross <pag at nanosec.com> wrote:
>> I have Beta 5 running and tried to follow the steps you outlined. I
>> slightly modified your step 3 to 3a and 3b, where 3a would be:
>> # yum check-update
>>
>> Here's what I got:
>> > Setting up repositories
>> >
>> http://centosg.centos.org/centos/4.92/updates/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
>> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Yep. I did leave out a step. You'll have to install the new
> centos-release package manually. This should point you from 4.92 to 5.
> If you look at the url in the error note above, you're trying to pull
> updates from 4.92, which won't work now that the release is official.

Ok... after finding this thread I was curious, so I followed a few of
the steps - skipped the part about removing all packages marked fc6
although I did id them and decided there were just too damn many to
bother removing them - installed the "el" centos-release packages and
then dropped out to a tty screen.

ran "yum -y update" and it went flawlessly. Upgraded my CentOS 5Beta2
workstation with no even a hiccup.

SWEET!

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."