[CentOS] Re: Jigdoes of CentOS 4.4 and 5.0 i386/x86_64 CD/DVD available.

Maciej Zenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Tue Apr 17 22:59:14 UTC 2007

> Our local mirrors are even better for CentOS servers. Even though they won't
> server the world, CentOS would do well to work with them to make them easy to
> find.

What we really need is something IP based.
Look up your IP on http://www.centos.org/whatismyip.php
(content: <? echo $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; ?>)
[Example at: http://tcs.uj.edu.pl/~maze/whatismyip.php]
Use this IP (or your public IP if you already have one) and look it up in
a netmask'ed list of mirrors, something along the lines of:

149.156.81.192/29 999 http://mirror.tcs.uj.edu.pl/centos/

Where the first specifies network ip range, the second is a priority (this
should be something like bandwidth from mirror to destination network) and
the third is the mirror location centos root directory.

Anyway a client fetches: http://www.centos.org/auto-mirrors.php and gets a
list of all the above lines which matched for it's given IP (ie. the
REMOTE_ADDR).  We can return only the actual mirror path - sorted by
decreasing priority (ie. bandwidth).

Then we'd have to ask people to submit lines of the above form for any
'close by' networks.

This might be a bit of an administrative headache though...

(and there'es still the issue of how to deal with partial mirrors... my
suggestion would be to allow mirroring on the version & architecture level
[as in I have 4.4 i386, 4.4 SRPMS, 5.0 x86_64, 5.0 SRPMS].

Could use a little more polish... but wondering about any first comments?

Maciej