[CentOS] Re: Jigdoes of CentOS 4.4 and 5.0 i386/x86_64 CD/DVD available.

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 17 23:13:22 UTC 2007

Maciej Zenczykowski wrote:
>> Our local mirrors are even better for CentOS servers. Even though they
>> won't server the world, CentOS would do well to work with them to make
>> them easy to find.
>
> What we really need is something IP based.
> Look up your IP on http://www.centos.org/whatismyip.php
> (content: <? echo $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; ?>)
> [Example at: http://tcs.uj.edu.pl/~maze/whatismyip.php]
> Use this IP (or your public IP if you already have one) and look it up
> in a netmask'ed list of mirrors, something along the lines of:
>
> 149.156.81.192/29 999 http://mirror.tcs.uj.edu.pl/centos/
>
> Where the first specifies network ip range, the second is a priority
> (this should be something like bandwidth from mirror to destination
> network) and the third is the mirror location centos root directory.
>
> Anyway a client fetches: http://www.centos.org/auto-mirrors.php and gets
> a list of all the above lines which matched for it's given IP (ie. the
> REMOTE_ADDR).  We can return only the actual mirror path - sorted by
> decreasing priority (ie. bandwidth).
>
> Then we'd have to ask people to submit lines of the above form for any
> 'close by' networks.
>
> This might be a bit of an administrative headache though...
>
> (and there'es still the issue of how to deal with partial mirrors... my
> suggestion would be to allow mirroring on the version & architecture
> level [as in I have 4.4 i386, 4.4 SRPMS, 5.0 x86_64, 5.0 SRPMS].
>
> Could use a little more polish... but wondering about any first comments?

Until CentOS recognises all the local mirrors, and from my perspective,
it's not worth the paper it's written on. So far, the schemes I see give
me places on the other side of the continent and those are little if any
better than downloading direct from www.centos.org (except they might be
faster).

--

Cheers