[CentOS] CentOS5 consistent media check failures 2 - 6.

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Apr 22 23:33:09 UTC 2007

William L. Maltby wrote:
> Folks,
>
> As much as I hate to, I feel I need to post my long story and ask help.
>
> Shortly after the release announcement, I kicked off rtorrent and
> downloaded the CD and DVD images. Since my cable provider does my
> "throttling", I disabled throttling and shared for several days,
> "returning" several GBs at no objectionable loss I could discern.
>
> While that was going on, I used cdrecord (don't jump to conclusions
> here, read on) via CLI to burn the CDs. This on a fully-up-to-date
> CentOS... well here
>
>     uname -a
>     Linux centos01.homegroannetworking 2.6.9-42.0.10.EL #1 Tue Feb 27
>     09:24:42 EST 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
>     $ lsb_release -a
>     LSB Version:    :core-3.0-ia32:core-3.0-noarch:graphics-3.0-
>         ia32:graphics-3.0-noarch
>     Distributor ID: CentOS
>     Release:        4.4
>     Codename:       Final
>
> CD writer is a generic 52x24x52x that I have used to burn many CDs
> before w/o problems. On this unit and the other I'll mention, the writer
> is master on IDE channel 2. Neither has an HD on that channel currently.
> The other unit has SATA drives and the writer is again on IDE 2 by
> itself.
>
> Disc 1 passes media check and 2 - 6 fail consistently. Checks OK:
>
>     ...CentOS-5.0-Old]$ md5sum -c md5sum.txt
>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-1of6.iso: OK
>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-2of6.iso: OK
>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-3of6.iso: OK
>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-4of6.iso: OK
>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-5of6.iso: OK
>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-6of6.iso: OK
>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-DVD.iso: OK
>
> IIRC, I also used the sha1 check (can't recall the command ATM) and it
> also passed.

At one time I got media check errors on a particular DVD in a new drive
sometimes but not others.

My solution? Don't do the media check, that way it can't fail:-) If the
install works, who cares what media check says?

Why not burn boot.iso and do an NFS install? You don't need to burn the
rest at all.

--

Cheers
John