[CentOS] CentOS5 consistent media check failures 2 - 6.

MrKiwi mrkiwi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 23:41:23 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> As much as I hate to, I feel I need to post my long story and ask help.
>>
>> Shortly after the release announcement, I kicked off rtorrent and
>> downloaded the CD and DVD images. Since my cable provider does my
>> "throttling", I disabled throttling and shared for several days,
>> "returning" several GBs at no objectionable loss I could discern.
>>
>> While that was going on, I used cdrecord (don't jump to conclusions
>> here, read on) via CLI to burn the CDs. This on a fully-up-to-date
>> CentOS... well here
>>
>>     uname -a
>>     Linux centos01.homegroannetworking 2.6.9-42.0.10.EL #1 Tue Feb 27
>>     09:24:42 EST 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>>
>>     $ lsb_release -a
>>     LSB Version:    :core-3.0-ia32:core-3.0-noarch:graphics-3.0-
>>         ia32:graphics-3.0-noarch
>>     Distributor ID: CentOS
>>     Release:        4.4
>>     Codename:       Final
>>
>> CD writer is a generic 52x24x52x that I have used to burn many CDs
>> before w/o problems. On this unit and the other I'll mention, the writer
>> is master on IDE channel 2. Neither has an HD on that channel currently.
>> The other unit has SATA drives and the writer is again on IDE 2 by
>> itself.
>>
>> Disc 1 passes media check and 2 - 6 fail consistently. Checks OK:
>>
>>     ...CentOS-5.0-Old]$ md5sum -c md5sum.txt
>>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-1of6.iso: OK
>>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-2of6.iso: OK
>>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-3of6.iso: OK
>>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-4of6.iso: OK
>>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-5of6.iso: OK
>>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-6of6.iso: OK
>>     CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-DVD.iso: OK
>>
>> IIRC, I also used the sha1 check (can't recall the command ATM) and it
>> also passed.
>>

> At one time I got media check errors on a particular DVD in a new drive
> sometimes but not others.
>
> My solution? Don't do the media check, that way it can't fail:-) If the
> install works, who cares what media check says?
>
> Why not burn boot.iso and do an NFS install? You don't need to burn the
> rest at all.

My 2c ; Ditto (or similar?) - Memorex DVD writer with the
CentOS5 dvd - md5sum says the iso is fine, but even burning
at the lowest speed it would not pass the Nero "verify",
however the install was flawless.
Maybe i had 3 bad dvds in a row, but unlikely.
Maybe it didnt write well, but the damaged data was in
packages i did not install? Fairly likely.
Bottom line is that the md5 passed (good iso image) and the
DVD install worked.

MrKiwi.