[CentOS] Bringing up interface eth0:

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Sat Apr 28 15:15:01 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 08:46:02AM -0500, Russ wrote:
> I'm installing CentOS 4.4 64-bit Enterprise on  a Dell Dimension with
> and AMD dual core 3800+.  When it starts to load eth0 it hangs. I have
> not found a way to break out of it. Or how to boot at run level 0. So
> newby Question 1 how do I get it to boot without loading eth0 so I can
> make changes?

There's no runlevel 0. You want runlevel 1 or 2. You can boot to any
runlevel by specifying it as an argument on boot. For instance, when
your computer starts and grubs presents the kernel it is about to boot,
press any key to abort automatic boot and then press 'a' and add the 1
(or s) and then press enter.

This changes for xen boots or some other distributions without (a)ppend
support in grub. For those, press 'e', select the line with the kernel
image and add the 1 to it.

If you just don't want to start networking, the boot process tells you
to press 'I' for an interactive boot. (I think it's 'I', I don't usually
use it.)

> Question 2 what is a likely problem and fix.

I suspect your system isn't getting answers for its dhcp requests. If
that's the cause, it should timeout after some time, and you can set an
fixed IP address to avoid dhcp altogether.

If it hardlocks, then you probably have a hardware problem, possibly
related to interrupts ("try booting with the options acpi=off noapic
nolapic"). You can see if it hardlocked by pressing ctrl+alt+del, if
it's still live it will start the reboot process.

> Question 3
> what is good documentation and other resource to find answers for sys
> admin questions.

The Linux Documentation Project (tldp.org) has some good howtos and
guides. Somewhat outdated in some cases, but still good reading.

There are also some books on Linux and RedHat administration (CentOS is
based on RedHat).

And then there's /usr/share/doc and the man pages, that have a lot of
usefull info.

--
lfr
0/0