[CentOS] D-Link DFE-580TX

Bernd Bartmann bernd.bartmann at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 20:47:55 UTC 2007

On 8/3/07, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> Has anyone here had any experience with D-Link's quad-port ethernet NIC,
> model DFE-580TX ?
>
> The people from Mikrotik says it can cause systemwide lockup, but from
> what I have been reading around, this board seem to work ok.
>
> This is the only quad-port NIC I have found with a reasonable price,
> so I'm seriously considering using it.
>
> Comments ?

Neither RHEL4, RHEL5 nor CENTOS4, CENTOS5 ship the needed sundance
kernel driver. I've requested the inclusion of this driver in RedHat
bugzilla ages ago, but so far only got the answer that they maybe
consider it for a future update release.

Anyway, you can compile the driver yourself. Be sure to install
kernel-devel as this is needed to get it compiled. After installing
the driver in the proper place under
/lib/modules/<kernelverison>/kernel/drivers/net/ run depmod -a. Then
you should be able to load the sundance.ko module.

I'm using the sundance driver on several CENTOS4/5 servers without any
issues since several month.

Best regards,
Bernd