[CentOS] Will this work? server+centOS5+100users?

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Tue Aug 7 21:32:01 UTC 2007

Sure you can, my only question is why?

I just bought a Dell Poweredge 860 1u unit with a Quad 2.4GHz
Xeon processor 2x4MB L2 cache and 4GB of memory for $1700.

Granted it only has 2 84GB internal SATA drives, but it is
ready to hook up to a storage enclosure, which could be a
MD1000 which has 15 drive bays driven by a PERC 5e controller.

Now of course the external enclosure will cost some $$ but it
will provide for growing performance and capacity needs and
you can always swap out the 860 for a higher end machine
down the line without having to backup/restore your data
volumes.

A 400SC might make a good print server, but it will struggle
as a good file server, especially as users start to want
things like volume snapshots and replication, etc.

Start with a lightly populated MD1000, say 4 SATA drives in
RAID5 or RAID10 and 2 SATA drives mirrored for snapshots.

-Ross