[CentOS] Install CentOS over FTP / STRANGE THING

Fri Aug 17 20:03:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 18:45 +0100, Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > No need to install, download a freedos iso (www.freedos.org), write
> > the standard distro to a floppy and use loadlin.
> Ok, I've installed FreeDOS and can access CentOS CDs.
> What about loadlin ?
>

> > I just read in your previous email that your pc goes berzerk when
> > trying to change things on  the BIOS, in such case, most probably
> > you'll run into issues afterwards even if you manage to start the
> > installations :(
> It's now booting, but strange things happen.
>
> It say my hard drive is hda and my CD-ROM is hdb.
>
> But then, it states that:
> ide0 is hda and hdb
> ide1 is hdc and hdd
>
> therefore, as there is no hdc and hdd, it just hangs :(
>
> Any idea ?

Speaking of "strange things" - sorry for my earlier off-base message.
Somehow the intervening messages in the thread did not show up in my
in-box until after I sent the belated and un-helpful suggestions about
GRUB and USB.  Sometimes our mail servers seem to get behind.

Anyway, the above messages don't seem to be problematic - the controller
ports will be seen even if nothing is attached to them, and may/may not
be relevant to the problems are seeing.  Have to agree with Jordi Molina
- looks like you may have BIOS/hardware issues.  Might try checking
cables and re-seating things - chips/boards.  Could try clearing CMOS -
there's often a jumper you can short on the motherboard to do that.
Might try a different CD drive.

Good luck,
Phil