[CentOS] Package Tracking System

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Aug 31 12:30:25 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 28 August 2007, Server Gremlin wrote:
> Thanks guys, that is pretty much what I want.  But what if I want to see
> the changelog for a package that I don't have installed?

rpm -qip --changelog <path/to/package-file>

This even works with mirror URLS (this is a single line below):
rpm -qp --changelog
http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/4/updates/i386/RPMS/bind-9.2.4-27.0.1.el4.i386.rpm

Produces:
warning:
http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/4/updates/i386/RPMS/bind-9.2.4-27.0.1.el4.i386.rpm:
Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 443e1821
* Thu Jul 19 2007 Adam Tkac <atkac redhat com> 20:9.2.4-27.0.1.el4
- fixed cryptographically weak query id generator (CVE-2007-2926)

* Wed Jan 31 2007 Martin Stransky <stransky at redhat.com> - 20:9.2.4-24.EL4
- fixed a multilib regression

etc.

The yum changelog plugin will work far more smoothly; but if you know the URL
to the package, rpm -qp --changelog will work just fine.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer