[CentOS] Centos 4.0 updates repo & local repository creation

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 19:29:21 UTC 2007

> I used Centos 4.0 iso to setup my systems and updated till date. I
> assume they are equivalent to systems created with Centos 4.4

That's how it works, yes.

> Please advise what directories I should download for my local
> repository, as the download tree has updates, extras, centosplus repos
> for 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4. & 4.4 & so on. Please advise the appropriate
> rsync commands, so that I can use it, so as to exclude isos and
> include the rest.

Rsync commands depend on the mirror to some extent. The general way to
mirror would be 'rsync -azvH remote-mirror.org::somelocation/.
/some/local/dir/'

If you actually look at the mirrors, you'll notice that 4.1, 4.2, etc
are all empty. See -> http://mirror.centos.org/centos-4/4.2/readme

It's generally best to use 4/ instead of 4.1 etc, as 4/ will always
point to the current release.

> A smal comment on how the repos relate to version numbers would be
> really appreciated.

As in the readme linked to above. 4 represents the major version
(there's only centos 4, not centos 4.0, 4.1 etc) and the .X number
represents the minor version, which corresponds to the upstream
vendor's quarterly updates.

> With best regards.
> Sanjay.

George Orwell