[CentOS] reboot long uptimes?

Tom Brown tom at ng23.net
Tue Feb 13 12:13:07 UTC 2007

> I was just wondering if I should reboot some servers that are running
> over 180 days?
>
> They are still stable and have no problems, also top shows no zombie
> processes or  such, but maybe it's better for the hardware (like ext3
> disk checks f.e.) to reboot  every six months...
>
> btw  this uptime really confirms me how stable Centos 4.x really is and
> so  I wonder how long some people's uptimes on the list are ;)

personally no - i never reboot unless i have to and i have some linux
boxes running 4 years uptime or more.

gotcha though: be careful to tune the fs to not automagically fsck the
filesystem on boot. When you have a large fileserver or mail store that
even a scheduled reboot can cause hours of downtime as it runs its
'required' fsck!