[CentOS] reboot long uptimes?

Theo Band theo.band at xanadu-wireless.com
Tue Feb 13 12:31:48 UTC 2007

Tom Brown wrote:

> gotcha though: be careful to tune the fs to not automagically fsck the
> filesystem on boot. When you have a large fileserver or mail store
> that even a scheduled reboot can cause hours of downtime as it runs
> its 'required' fsck!
There must be a reason to do fsck every now and then (once a year)?
Could it be that some cleanup is needed even for ext3? I also have a
server up for more than half a year and I was wondering whether to
reboot it just out of precautions. I refrain from kernel updates for
internal machines, it just gives a lot of work due to driver
re-compilation. (Don't fix it if it ain't broken :-)

Theo