[CentOS] Using CentOS 4.4 on very old Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop; would like suggestions regarding using KDE/GNOME in low RAM and low disk situation

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 8 21:55:13 UTC 2007

Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> Hi;
>
>  I'm new to the CentOS list and I only have experience with CentOS 4.3/4.4
> on desktops.  I just installed CentOS 4.4 on a very old Dell Inspiron 3500
> laptop.  I choose the desktop option and then deleted the kde and gnome
> packages because I have only 192mb RAM and 4gb disk (total).  I'd like
> suggestions on how to maximize the effective usage of the laptop with
> CentOS
> 4.4...as a minimum I want to do secure wireless web browsing.  If KDE or
> GNOME needs more disk/RAM than I have available is XCFE the only
> alternative
> to the bleak Motif experience?  I don't have any money to get a better
> laptop or to upgrade the RAM and/or disk at this time.

There are reasons RH doesn't support less than 256 Mbtes of RAM with RHEL 4.

Earlier releases of CentOS (earlier==better) should perform much better,
and you could also browse www.distrowatch.com for lighter distros.

One that comes to mind is Damn Small Linux.

OpenSUSE with fvwm _might_ do it; I used to run RHL 6.2 quite happily in
64 Mbytes (5.x in less), and the main differences these days is
KDE+Gnome+their libraries, along with Mozilla (and its kin) and
OpenOffice.org.

Prior to RHL 7.x, the main desktop environment was FVWM, that's why I
think OpenSUSE might work for you.

--

Cheers
John