[CentOS] Using CentOS 4.4 on very old Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop; would like suggestions regarding using KDE/GNOME in low RAM and low disk situation

Guillermo Garron guillermo.fedora at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 05:07:16 UTC 2007

On 1/8/07, Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
>   I'm new to the CentOS list and I only have experience with CentOS 4.3/4.4
> on desktops.  I just installed CentOS 4.4 on a very old Dell Inspiron 3500
> laptop.  I choose the desktop option and then deleted the kde and gnome
> packages because I have only 192mb RAM and 4gb disk (total).  I'd like
> suggestions on how to maximize the effective usage of the laptop with CentOS
> 4.4...as a minimum I want to do secure wireless web browsing.  If KDE or
> GNOME needs more disk/RAM than I have available is XCFE the only alternative
> to the bleak Motif experience?  I don't have any money to get a better
> laptop or to upgrade the RAM and/or disk at this time.
I am sorry if I am broking any netiquete of the list here,

But I recommend you.
Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org)
DSL (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/)
puppy Linux (http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1)

As they are designed for small *old* PCs.

regards,

--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."