[CentOS] OOT: Advice on failover rsync setup

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Tue Jan 23 17:36:12 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 04:41, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > I have a task on setting up a cluster of 2 servers for providing ftp
service.
> > We use RH's Cluster suite. However the cluster setup is lack of shared
network
> > storage, so the /var/ftp/pub is mounted on each server. The cluster is set
> >
> > So, are we on the right direction? Or is there any better way?
> > Thank you very much,
> >

> have you considered using drbd ?

Well, I was going to suggest using RAID1 with one of the partitions being a
network block device, but this looks even better!

Rsync is great for period backups (not more than once per day or so) but if
you're already looking into clustering, HA and/performance issues are already
a concern, so it's just not really up to the task. Rsync takes a terrible
performance hit, unmanageable on a busy system if it's IDE-based.

It's great, though, for Distaster Recovery off-site backups. See
http://www.effortlessis.com/backupbuddy
for an example I cooked up some time back.

Go with DRBD, but I've seen RAID1 on a virtual network block device work
reasonably well if both systems are on the same network. (I'd suggest putting
the block device network traffic on its own dedicated hub/network separate
from other traffic)

If I recall correctly, this is the network block device we used: (it was a
while back)
http://www.it.uc3m.es/~ptb/nbd/

-Ben

> Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219 at icq