[CentOS] OOT: Advice on failover rsync setup

Mark Schoonover schoon at amgt.com
Tue Jan 23 17:54:27 UTC 2007

Benjamin Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 04:41, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>>> I have a task on setting up a cluster of 2 servers for providing
>>> ftp service. We use RH's Cluster suite. However the cluster setup
>>> is lack of shared network storage, so the /var/ftp/pub is mounted
>>> on each server. The cluster is set
>>>
>>> So, are we on the right direction? Or is there any better way?
>>> Thank you very much,
>>>

>> have you considered using drbd ?
>
> Well, I was going to suggest using RAID1 with one of the partitions
> being a network block device, but this looks even better!
>
> Rsync is great for period backups (not more than once per day or so)

I run rsync every hour on multi-terrabyte systems with no problems. The
NASes do have a private GB network to push the data through, so the user
network doesn't see the network traffic generated by rsync. I can have
anywhere from just a couple hundred megs, to 100 gigs of data change inside
of an hour.

<snipped>

> It's great, though, for Distaster Recovery off-site backups. See
> http://www.effortlessis.com/backupbuddy
> for an example I cooked up some time back.

I'll have to read this. I wrote my configuration up on how to use rsync for
hourly, daily and weekly backups here: http://marks-tech-pages.blogspot.com

Rsync really shines, I've totally abandoned backing up to tape. It's nice to
have restores run at network speeds.

Thanks!

Mark Schoonover
IS Manager
American Geotechnical - California, Nevada and Arizona
V-> 858.450.4040 F-> 714.685.3909 C-> 858.472.3816