[CentOS] RAID hard drive serial numbers?

Tim Verhoeven tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 11:34:18 UTC 2007

On 7/17/07, Scott Ehrlich <scott at mit.edu> wrote:
> smartctl, hdparm, and sdparm all are valuable tools to obtain hard drive
> info. But, they don't seem to work, at least, on obtaining hard drive info
> from drives on a Dell PERC controller.  Instead, I'm given basic PERC
> controller info, not drive info.
>
> Is there a tool to let me get the hard drive make/model/serial numbers from a
> hardware RAID setup?

Since you are using HW RAID the tools you mentioned cannot be used to
get the HD serial numbers. This is because the RAID controllers
completely hides the physical disks from the OS. You would need tools
for the RAID controller itself, those should be able to get the info
you need.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - dj at rootshell.be - 0479 / 88 11 83

Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)