[CentOS] File Size

Centos centos at unixplanet.biz
Wed Jul 25 14:29:04 UTC 2007

ok, the file system is ext and block size is the default which is 4096,
so I should be able to have 16 Tera Byte filesystem and 2 Tera Byte
files size.

I had to transfer some files which the total size was about 250 G
so I used tar -zcvf to tar and gzip them , but server crashed and rebooted
two times, once when tar.gz file was about 32 G and the second time
tar.gz file was about 64 G, any idea what could be the cause.

tar -zcvf tar.gz /somefolder/*

Thanks

Brett Schroeder wrote:

> Centos wrote:
>
>> Thank you Jim,
>>
>> How can I find the current block size and file system type ?
>>

> File system type can be found in 3rd column of /etc/fstab.
>
> For ext{2,3} file systems the block size can be found by
>
> tune2fs -l /dev/XXXX | grep "Block size"
>
> where XXX is something like
> 1) sda1 (for SCSI or SATA partitions)
> 2) md0 (for software raid devices)
> 3) VolGroup00/LogVol00 (for Logical Volumes under LVM)
>

>> Jim Perrin wrote:

>>> This depends on several things, including the architecture (x86_64 vs
>>> x86) and the blocksize used for the filesystem.
>>>
>>> For ext3, it breaks out like this ->
>>>
>>> Block size     Max file size     Max filesystem size
>>> 1KiB               16GiB         2TiB
>>> 2KiB               256GiB        8TiB
>>> 4KiB               2 TiB          16TiB