[CentOS] Disk errors on CentOS 5 - libata bug?

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Sat Jun 9 02:22:35 UTC 2007

>I just installed CentOS 5 on a computer. On boot, I get the a error
>message,
> related to 2 SATA disks. These errors did NOT appear on version 4.4 with
> the
> EXACT same hardware.
>
> Error message follows:
> (etc)

I connected both disks to a Promise PDC20378 Sata Controler available on the
same board and the error
disappears. The configuration stays EXACTLY the same, I only switch both
disks' SATA cables to the other 2 connectors.

The error was basically this one, repeated several times:

ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
ata1.00: tag 0 cmd 0xb0 Emask 0x1 stat 0x51 err 0x4 (device error)
ata1: EH complete

I have this 5 times, after which come the statements:

SCSI device sda: 241254720 512-byte hdwr sectors (123522 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
SCSI device sda: 241254720 512-byte hdwr sectors (123522 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back

(Is this duplication normal?)

The whole thing is repeated for "ata2.00" and "SCSI device sdb"

So, it is related to the use of the Intel 82801EB ICH5 controler that makes
the Southbridge.
I report it here in the hope that someone related to kernel development will
address this problem.

As I said before, these errors are being reported all over the Net and they
seem to appear with a wide
range of disks, controlers and chips set brands, even with different Linux
distributions.
The issue seems to be related to the last few kernel versions and is perhaps
a bug or ill-implemented feature
of libata or ata_piix.