[CentOS] Disk errors on CentOS 5 - SOLVED

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Tue Jun 19 23:38:45 UTC 2007

I would like to give feedback about some disk errors I reported here some
days ago:

The errors were the following with ICH5 controler:

ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
ata1.00: tag 0 cmd 0xb0 Emask 0x1 stat 0x51 err 0x4 (device error)
ata1: EH complete
(They were then repeated for ata2.00).

The same disks connected to a Promise controler gave the following errors:

hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide: failed opcode was: 0xb0
(Repeated for hdb)

I asked the kernel developers about these errors and they told me that they
were related to SMART.

SMART was disabled in the BIOS. After enabling the optin, the error messages
disappeared.

Maybe this information will be useful to someone.

A big thanks to Andrey Melnikoff and Alan Cox for telling me what the
problem was.