[CentOS] which commands do you use to SSL certify your own server?

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Fri Jun 15 20:21:31 UTC 2007

I have a strong aversion to re-inventing the wheel, so I usually use the
  Makefile provided with the openssl package in RH/CentOS to create
self-signed certs.  Under CentOS 5 it is located in /etc/pki/tls/certs,
under CentOS 4 it is in /usr/share/ssl/certs.

First, change your working directory to the appropriate location and use
the make command to create a .PEM file containing the key and
certificate.  If you just run make with no parameters it will give you
some quick help and show some examples of how to use it.

Most applications give you the option of keeping the key and certificate
in the same file (like Apache), but you can break it up into separate
key and certificate files if you need to either with a plain text editor
or the openssl tools.

Your mileage may vary!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN