[CentOS] Re: Fun with CentOS and Windows

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Mar 16 16:41:10 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter spake the following on 3/16/2007 12:40 AM:
> I installed the memory and the CPU and the motherboard and the new video
> card all together tonight.  CentOS installed very nicely and I'm
> currently running the CentOS-Plus version, with which I _can_ access my
> Windows partitions.  Well, one of the disks is getting flaky and I'm
> having trouble with it - of course, that's the one I need the most.
>
> Glitches, with which I would be delighted to obtain feedback and/or advice:
>
> 1) In the boot screen, it tells me "CPU0 Memory information: single
> channel, 64-bits."  I have 2Gb of DDR2 PC6400 (800MHz) memory - is this
> a problem, or does it mean something else entirely?
> (ECS NFORCE4M-A m/b, Phoenix BIOS 6.00PG)

Look at your mobo manual and make sure the memory is in pairs in the proper slots.

> 2) While the system is booting up, it tells me:
> MP-BUG: 8254 timer is not connected to APIC
> What does this mean and is there a way around it?
>
> 3) CentOS does not appear to have the drivers for my video card or
> monitor.  I have an e-GEForce 7100gs card and an Envision en910e monitor
> (yeah, that old 19" CRT that has been working fine for 3+ years).  How
> can I get more than 800x600 (need 1280x1024 to work properly? And please
> don't say buy a new monitor - no money for that for a while....
>
> 4) Here's the bad part (sort of) - I can't boot my Windows any more.  It
> comes part way up and reboots, whether I try to run Safe Mode
> (hahahahahaha) or Crashing (I mean Normal) Mode.  The video card is
> different, and I thought that might be the problem, but it should come
> up in safe mode no matter what - no video driver loaded.  (I also went
> from a P4 to an Athlon 64 X2 - could that be part/all of it?).

You will have to do a repair install of your windows. Unfortunately, after
this you will also need to boot from a rescue disk and re-install grub, as the
windows repair will usually hose the bootloader.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and