[CentOS] Fun with CentOS and Windows

Alfred von Campe alfred at 110.net
Fri Mar 16 17:13:53 UTC 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 12:40, Mark Hull-Richter wrote:

>> Just hit www.nvidia.com and get their binary driver.
>>
> I thought of that, but their new driver refuses to install unless I
> halt
> the X server, and I don't know how to do that yet.  I tried a terminal
> session, but it's no different.

It's not that hard.  If you are already at run level 5, just do a "/
sbin/telinit 3".  If the system has not booted yet, use the Grub
command "a" to append either a 1 or a 3 to the command line so that
you only go to runlevel 1 or 3.  You can then install the Binary
Nvidia driver.  To go (back) to run level 5, just do a "/sbin/telinit
5".  All these commands have to be done as root, BTW.

Alfred