[CentOS] Centos 5 text install doesnt install all of GNOME

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri May 4 00:12:34 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I did find this out in another message here and they are right.  This
>> is a missing piece (one of many!) in the text install.
>>

> One bit of info that needs clearing up here, did you start a text
> install by yourself or did the system fallback to text mode ? If the
> installer drops down to using only Text mode, there will be a reason
> mentioned in the anaconda log file - look there.
>
> If the installer makes an assumption that it cant run the GUI mode in
> a reasonable fashion, then it does the safest thing, and sets the
> machine to boot into text mode post-install.
The installer assumed that it could not run the GUI mode as it cam up
with 232Mb memory (24Mb used by video card).

And I know that it would come up in 'init 3 mode', it was just that I
was SURE that I selected the GNOME package from the customize package
installation dialog, and it was not on my system after the install.  I
had do grab it separately via yum groupinstall.

Howover, I hosed up somehow later with yumex doing updates, and watched
everything being removed!  So I had to redo the install.

This time I paid careful attention to the package install dialog, and
GNOME environment was installed.  All I had to do was change inittab to
start at 5 instead of 3.

So I don't know.  I am unlikely to be doing another Centos 5 install on
a system with less than 256Mb of usable ram...