[CentOS] Centos 5 text install doesnt install all of GNOME

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri May 4 00:48:12 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> The installer assumed that it could not run the GUI mode as it cam up
>> with 232Mb memory (24Mb used by video card).
>
> This number itself is fairly open to argument. Is 256 megs of usable
> ram really a hard limit practically ? I think its the best compromise
> for the situation that we are in - and the anaconda+yum combo
> definitely needs working to try and optimise the amount of ram it uses
> at install time - dont think anyone is going to deny that.
I have already done one isntall on a Compaq SFF that has 256Mb memory.
It went well, I did not feel I had any challenges with the install.  As
compared to the Compaq SFF with 512Mb.

It would be nice if we could at least have an override to 'try it
anyway'.  I mean what could go wrong with only 232Mb???  ;)