[CentOS] Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Ruslan Sivak rsivak at istandfor.com
Fri May 11 19:31:55 UTC 2007

Feizhou wrote:

>> Originally I had boot on 2 drives raid1, with 2 more drives being
>> hotspares.  Then I realized that this makes no sense, if you can just
>> set up a raid1 with 4 drives (where each drive is a copy of each
>> other).  Didn't really know if it was supported, but looks like it
>> works.
>
> The entire use all four disks for /boot makes no sense if two disks
> belonging to the same mirror for the lvm go down. Please stop this
> nonsense about surviving everything to no benefit. You can have three
> disks fail and still have a working /boot. For what?

Feizhou,

After thinking about it for a little bit, I see your point.  If one of
the arrays fails, the data drive is gone, and there is no point keeping
boot after that.  This means it suffices to put /boot on the first raid1
array.
However, as was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, by mirroring the
boot partition on all 4 drives, I don't have to worry about which order
the drives are plugged in, and I can preserve disk symmetry.  Since the
cost of the drive is about $0.25 a GB, I think wasting the $0.10 is
worth the flexibility and peace of mind.

Russ