[CentOS] Introduction

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Tue May 15 20:54:48 UTC 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 3:50 PM, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> I'm currently busy sinking my teeth into the CentOS docs, to get a
> firmer grasp of the Red Hat way to do things. This will take me a
> few days, maybe weeks. If not months. Right now for example, I have
> to rebuild my kernel - to enable one option (VESA) and disable one
> other (SMP, which causes the system to freeze with the rt61
> driver). I know how to do this with Slackware and Debian, but I
> want to do it the proper Red Hat way with CentOS, which is
> essentially new to me.

don't recompile your kernel to disable SMP :)  if you don't already
have the uniprocessor kernel installed by default, install it:

# yum install kernel-2.6.18-8.1.3.el5

then edit /etc/grub.conf to make that kernel the default, then reboot.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v