[CentOS] Centos5, Compiz, and Nvidia

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon May 21 02:01:23 UTC 2007

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 04:37:26PM -0400, fredex wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Just did a TEST install of centos5 on an old PIII box.
>
> one of the things I wanted to see was the fancy desktop eye-candy of
> compiz and/or beryl.
>
> This box has a nvidia 6600 series card, and I've isntalled the Nvidia
> drivers (download from nvidia and run their installer).
>
> I used the software updater to install compiz (didn't show up on original
> install, perhaps I didn't hold my tongue the right way. :)
>
> So, how do I run compiz?
>
> Found "enable desktop effects", click it, and it says "could not enable
> desktop effects". Not very informative.
>
> From a command line, just type "compiz" and it comes back with
> "no sync extension".
>
> Anyone know what else I need to do?
>
> Thanks!

following up on my own posting:
I found that the nvidia xorg.conf on my centos 4.5 box had a lot more
settings than the one on the centos 5 just installed. Looks like whatever
agency creates it doesn't do it right.

So, I added by hand a number of settings from the older box (a bunch of "Load"
commands from the "modules" section), restrted X, then I was able to start
compiz.

Odd things with compiz, though:
1. opened windows don't have the minimize/maximize/close buttons in the
upper right corner
2. can't grab the title bar and drag them around, though they can be
dragged by holding down ALT while doing a click/drag anywhere in the window.
3. opening a terminal window gives a completely white box with nothing
visible in it.

anything I should know about configuring/using compiz that isn't obvious?

thanks!

Fred