[CentOS] Login problem on CentOS 4.4 GDM

Mark Hull-Richter mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed May 23 17:36:50 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, Brent L. Bates <blbates at vigyan.com> wrote:
>      We had a similar problem.  I believe there was an error message in our
> system log files that pointed to the solution.  I logged in remotely and
> deleted a problem file.  I'm not 100% sure what the file was, but I think it
> was something like .ICEauthority or a variation on it.  Some how the file got
> corrupted and when root tried to login, it was quickly kicked out.  I hope
> this helps some.  Good luck.

Well, I tried .dmrc, .ICEauthority and .Xauthority and none of them
appear to be responsible.  (I renamed each one to .old, tried a login,
failed, and renamed them back.)

As far as I can tell, this affects ALL non root users on the system.
I can log in remotely, or as root (remotely or directly via gdm), but
not via gdm as a non-root user.

Also, I cannot manipulate passwords at all.  When I try to set a user
password using the users and groups applet, it hangs.  When I try to
set a user password from the root login via passwd <user>, I always
get an authentication failure.

Does that clarify the problem to anyone else?

--
Mark Hull-Richter
DATAllegro (www.datallegro.com)