[CentOS] Login problem on CentOS 4.4 GDM

Johnny Tan jtan at limewire.com
Wed May 23 17:55:35 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> Also, I cannot manipulate passwords at all.  When I try to set a user
> password using the users and groups applet, it hangs.  When I try to
> set a user password from the root login via passwd <user>, I always
> get an authentication failure.
>
> Does that clarify the problem to anyone else?

Hmm, not sure about the password part of this... but is
SELinux enabled? If so, you might have to run restorecon on
the new /home directory.

Also, you said you "think" permissions were preserved, but
it's better to be absolutely sure: when you "ls -la" any
user's home directory, they own every file/directory in
their home (including "hidden" ones like .gnome, etc)?

Lastly, in Users & Groups applet, the home directories are
correct for each user?

johnn