[CentOS] Login problem on CentOS 4.4 GDM

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed May 23 18:22:26 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I cannot manipulate passwords at all.  When I try to set a user
> password using the users and groups applet, it hangs.  When I try to
> set a user password from the root login via passwd <user>, I always
> get an authentication failure.
>
> Does that clarify the problem to anyone else?

This very much smells like a permissions error. Did you muck with
/etc/  at all when you were moving things around?

You might want to try something like 'rpm -V setup' or even 'rpm -Va >
whatsbroke.txt'

The output of these commands will tell you if anything has been
changed for the setup package (which has the password files) or all
rpms respectively. If,as root, you cannot manipulate a user's password
with 'passwd userfoo' then it's probably a permissions error on
/etc/passwd or /etc/shadow

George Orwell