[CentOS] Login problem on CentOS 4.4 GDM

Mark Hull-Richter mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed May 23 19:05:42 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> This very much smells like a permissions error. Did you muck with
> /etc/  at all when you were moving things around?
>
> You might want to try something like 'rpm -V setup' or even 'rpm -Va >
> whatsbroke.txt'
>
> The output of these commands will tell you if anything has been
> changed for the setup package (which has the password files) or all
> rpms respectively. If,as root, you cannot manipulate a user's password
> with 'passwd userfoo' then it's probably a permissions error on
> /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow

I looked at them (as root) and even removed a password from the shadow
file for one user to see if that made a difference.  What you say
sounds probable, and I'll keep this for reference should the issue
come up again (or just to see what it should look like on a normal
system).

Unfortunately, I don't have any more time to fix this - I need the
system up and working a.s.a.p., so I'm reinstalling it, with care....

Thanks.

--
Mark Hull-Richter
DATAllegro (www.datallegro.com)