[CentOS] Need advice on storage

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Tue Nov 13 13:47:50 UTC 2007

If you are seeing iowaits that high then something needs to be done.

You CAN gain performance by striping, but the downtime due to disk failure can make your decision making skills look flawed.

For a mail server I highly recommend RAID10 and drives with high RPM so you get better random io performance as 99% of io on a mail home server will be random io and while regular SATA drives would be ok for a file server which is mostly sequential they will stack up io waits on a busy mail or database server. The raptors are costly because they run at 10k rpm and have low seek times, this gives them much better random io performance, but sequential io is the same with regular SATA drives. In fact sequential io performance is almost identical between 7200rpm SATA and 15000rpm SAS the real difference is in random io where the 15k drives are 2x faster (1.2MB of 4k random ios a second versus 640KB of 4k random ios a second, unbuffered).

If you have an external enclosure then that will help, but make sure the array is compatible with the drives you want. SATA disks cannot go into a SCSI array, though some SAS enclosures and controllers allow you to mix SAS and SATA drives (LSI is one).

Performance can trump size here so if the choice is between 200GB 7200 rpm SATA drives or 72GB 15000rpm SAS drives, if your data fits onto the 72GB drives (probably 140GB if in a 4 drive RAID10) go with the 72GB drives (taking growth into consideration too).

Hardware RAID can help too if you utilize onboard battery backed up write-back cache. The more write-back cache the better, just make sure it is battery backed up (BBU).

-Ross