[CentOS] Need advice on storage

boisvert.guy at videotron.ca boisvert.guy at videotron.ca
Wed Nov 14 13:41:28 UTC 2007

----- Message d'origine -----De: Ken Price <kprice at nowyouknow.net>Date: Mardi, Novembre 13, 2007 11:04 amObjet: Re: [CentOS] Need advice on storageÀ: centos at centos.org> > Thanks Ken.That's a good thing  to know that software striping > won't  > > really boost performance, i  then won't waste money on that > avenue.   > > I cannot explain why as i  don't know about Linux drivers  > > architecture and general system low  level behavior but maybe  > > somebody on this list could give us a> > It's not specific to Linux, but RAID in general.  You need more > than  > two disks to get any significant increase in performance.  In > fact,  > you may get better performance with Linux software RAID than > hardware  > RAID.  Linux software RAID is really quite robust.> > > clue.As i said on my previous post, i found that the server is >  > > inside a rack that has a VTRAK 15100 SCSI to SATA Enclosure > with a   > > free SCSI bus (the unit has 2 independant bus) and hard disk > slots.   > >  I think we have a spare Adaptec 39160 so if it's the case, i > could   > > go with this solution and buy 4 x WD 250 Gigs "YS" (RAID) > serie   > > drives @ about 75$ each and put all this in RAID 10.  The unit >  > > supports NCQ.  It remains to be seen how well it can perform > even if  > >  they are talking about "up to 200 MBps".Regards,Guy Boisvert> > I've used both the Promise UltraTrak SX8000 (8-disk RAID50) and  > UltraTrak SX4000> (4-disk Raid10).  Performance was adequate, but I was using Dell > > PERC2/3 RAID cards.  In testing, a plain-jane Adaptec SCSI card  > coupled with software RAID gave "significantly" better results.> > Cheers.> -Ken> Hi Ken,Well, i should be OK with my Adaptec 39160 then.  I'll see if the VTrak 15100 we have is able to push respectable numbers in RAID 10.  But as "redhat at mckerrs.net" stated in another post, it will be plugged in a straight 32 bits PCI bus on a crappy mainboard so it's a temporary solution until we get the budget for a new server.  But it should be relatively easy to beat a single 200 Gig IDE non NCQ drive!Thanks!Guy Boisvert