[CentOS] Filesystem for Maildir

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 19:40:45 UTC 2007

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

>>> I would contest the last two.
>>>
>>  I had two bad experiences with ReiserFS in our Mail Server, reiserfsck is
>>  too slow and lost data.
>>
>>  IMHO ReiserFS have the best performance for Maildir but its only safe on
>>  production if you´re sure that the system I/O will never fail.
>
> nullfs (mount -t nullfs /dev/null /var/spool/mail) is even faster than
> ReiserFS, and is just slightly more likely to loose your data. :)

I have /var on reiserfs  on a busy RH 7.3 machine that hasn't had
problems in however many years that has been (2001?).  It wasn't
rebooted in the last 4 of those years until just recently when I had to
move it to a new location, though - but it's on raid1 and I've
hot-swapped replacement drives into it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com