[CentOS] 2 DHCP server in one subnet

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 16:32:40 UTC 2007

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hello all,
> In the network there is already a W2K server serving as DHCP server for the
> network. Then we want to implement LTSP, so we need to setup another DHCP
> server, right?

This depends on your network topology. If you use the 2-NIC
configuration on the k12ltsp server you will have a separate switch and
subnet for the clients so there is no conflict with an existing DHCP
server on your main network - and the k12ltsp server also provides NAT
so even windows boxes on the client side will operate normally without
other changes.

> Due to unexpected reason (little by little migration of w98 clients to LTSP),
> we need to keep the W2K server running in that network. Can we then have 2
> DHCP server in the same subnet, only serving pre-determine clients using mac
> address? Any clue on how to setup the dhcpd.conf?

If you have everything on a flat network it would be best to only run
one DHCP server, but either the windows one or the k12ltsp one can be
configured to do everything you need.  The extra options you need to
boot thin clients will simply be ignored by systems that don't want
them.  The other services on the w2k server can remain even if you shut
down its dhcp service and rely on the k12ltsp server for that.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com