[CentOS] 2 DHCP server in one subnet

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 17:09:15 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> In the network there is already a W2K server serving as DHCP server
>> for the network. Then we want to implement LTSP, so we need to setup
>> another DHCP server, right?
>
> This depends on your network topology. If you use the 2-NIC
> configuration on the k12ltsp server you will have a separate switch and
> subnet for the clients so there is no conflict with an existing DHCP
> server on your main network - and the k12ltsp server also provides NAT
> so even windows boxes on the client side will operate normally without
> other changes.
>
>> Due to unexpected reason (little by little migration of w98 clients to
>> LTSP), we need to keep the W2K server running in that network. Can we
>> then have 2 DHCP server in the same subnet, only serving pre-determine
>> clients using mac address? Any clue on how to setup the dhcpd.conf?
>
> If you have everything on a flat network it would be best to only run
> one DHCP server, but either the windows one or the k12ltsp one can be
> configured to do everything you need.  The extra options you need to
> boot thin clients will simply be ignored by systems that don't want
> them.  The other services on the w2k server can remain even if you shut
> down its dhcp service and rely on the k12ltsp server for that.

Sorry for replying to my own posting, but I thought this was on the
k12osn list when I answered so the mention of k12ltsp might be
confusing.  K12ltsp is just a re-spin distribution that contains a full
Centos (or fedora, depending on the version) with ltsp and some other
things added along with startup scripts to make it all come up working
in a 2-NIC setup.  You can do the same yourself by installing ltsp on
Centos and setting the rest up by hand.  But in any case I'd recommend
the k12osn mail list and the k12ltsp wiki
(http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page) as resources even if
your ltsp use isn't in education.

--
   Les Mikesell