[CentOS] xfs and centosplus kernel

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Apr 4 15:29:28 UTC 2008

Jim Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Fong Vang <sudoyang at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I read that XFS has problems with 4K Stack size for Linux on 32-bit systems.
>> How did we address this in the centosplus kernel?  Since what release of
>> CentOS was this problem resolved?
>

> XFS did (and still does) have this issue. They've made vast improvements though.
>
> It's not fixed in the Centosplus kernel, it's just not as much of a
> problem as it used to be.
>
> on x86 systems, the stack is still 4k.
>
> on x86_64 systems, it's 8k I believe.

Correct .. you should use xfs on the x86_64 kernel if at all possible.

The i386 kernel does as have some things from SGI / SUSE to mitigate the
4kstack issues ... however they are not completely fixed (nor will they
ever be on 4k stacks).

That said, many people are using xfs on the CentOS i386 kernels and they
seem to be working stably for the most part.

I personally just use ext3 on all my file systems ... but to each his
own, that is what linux is all about :D