[CentOS] MS Exchange Replacement

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Apr 7 13:22:25 UTC 2008

Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 07/04/2008, at 10:10 PM, Simon Jolle wrote:
>>
>>> What about Zimbra or Scallix?
>>
>> Both not Open Source
>> Scalix uses Scalix Public License (SPL) and Zimbra uses Yahoo Public
>> License (YPL) - both crap licenses and not OSI approved.
>>
>> cheers
>> Simon
>

> Open Source does not depend on the license. You've been drinking the GPL
> koolaid too long if you think this is the case.
>
> Without turning this into a religious debate that I can see on the
> horizon, you should really read this:
>         http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php
>
> Comparing the Zimbra licensing (http://www.zimbra.com/license/) to the
> definitions in the link above, Zimbra seems to fit the definition of
> Open Source...

It does NOT fit the definition ... mainly because of the Attribution
requirements ... if it DID fit the defination, it would be approved by
the OSI.  It was rejected as an OSI license.  Here is one discussion:

http://linuxgazette.net/148/moen.html

Really though, whether or not it fits with YOUR definition of "Open
Source" or Simon's or mine is not relevant ... the only FACT is that the
OSI has not approved either license (and both asked for approval). What
that means to each user is not really relevant to this list.  The OSI
only matters to people who think it matters, and to others it does not.