[CentOS] snmpd wont start on CentOS 4.4?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Apr 10 11:37:27 UTC 2008

Gustavo wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Ive searched the arqchives, but didnt find anything like this.. Maybe im
> missing some trick here...
>
> The problem:
> I've instaled snmpd and snmp-utils packages with yum.
> Im using and old simple .conf file, i've been using on my fedora 1 box,
> but when I try to start snmpd, it just says OK, (Starting
> snmpd..........[OK]), but the service dont work at all. I dont see any
> process running with "ps".
> Ive checked the logs, and found that it could be related to SE Linux and I
> tryed to disable it, but it still doesnt work.
> Im not using iptables localy, so, its not iptables related.
> Already tryed uninstall <> install.
>
> Any trick here?
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Gustavo.
>
> BTW: Its currently working on my fedora1. This is the last thing I need to
> fix to upgrade.

How sure are you that selinux is disabled (my normal snmpd stuff also
does not work with selinux).

After adjusting /etc/sysconfig/selinux  (set SELINUX=disabled) you would
need to reboot to make the change effect.

You can test with this command:

getenforce

If it says disabled or permissive, you should be OK.

If it says enforcing ... issue this command:

setenforce 0

Then look again with getenforce.

You still need to adjust /etc/sysconfig/selinux to make the changes last
for a reboot.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes