[CentOS] No Network = slow ??

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 03:39:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> I lost my internet connection earlier today.
>
>  During that period, my CentOS 5.1 install was extremely slow (2.6 GHz
> Athlon w/ 2GB ram) at starting non network applications - such as solitare
> and gnome terminal. It would pause for several seconds before finally
> starting them.

There's a couple of threads about this from May 2007 or thereabouts
that you should be able to find in the list archives.  (I know because
I started those threads.)  The short answer seems to be that Xorg gets
annoyed if it can't resolve the local IP address to a hostname, and it
attempts to do this any time any application connects to the X server.
 Other (non-X) apps will cause similar issues if they attempt DNS
operations for any reason while the network is down.

You can fix *most* of this by making sure that there are entries in
/etc/hosts for 127.0.0.1, etc., but I was never able to get the
problem to entirely go away in all circumstances.