[CentOS] No Network = slow ??

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Apr 17 15:25:29 UTC 2008

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> You can fix *most* of this by making sure that there are entries in
> /etc/hosts for 127.0.0.1, etc., but I was never able to get the
> problem to entirely go away in all circumstances.

OK - my /etc/hosts file contained the following EXCEPT for the last line
(fqdn) added this morning:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost       athens
::1     localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
192.168.15.2    jerusalem.mpeters.local jerusalem
192.168.15.5    laserjet.mpeters.local laserjet
192.168.15.23   athens.mpeters.local

Hopefully it was lack of fqdn in /etc/hosts - though that would be
puzzling, as I don't run any dns that defines that host name, so why it
would cause slowdown when I can't reach the outside world because of
lack of fqdn that it didn't have anyway is puzzling.

Another possibility - I have the gnome weather applet running on the
panel, it could not update obviously as it could not get outside local
lan, I don't know if that would have triggered gnome/x11 slowness or not.