[CentOS] Upstream vendor's diskless vs LTSP

John jses27 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 10:12:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 15:38 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a customer that insists of using upstream vendor's diskless
> (system-config-netboot) rather than LTSP. The reason is that he wants to use
> a 100% packages from the vendor, not from LTSP or any other party.

I to have one that insists on it also.They want to stay in the Red
Hat/CentOS Realm of things.

> I try the vendor's diskless system, and although it's very simple to setup, it
> lacks the support and/or documentation whereas LTSP is very good in it.
> Another sample is that he wants to connect a scanner to the client, I doubt it
> can be, since there's no documentation about it at all from the vendor.
>
> Is there any fundamental difference between the two setups?
> Thank you.

The netboot package for version 5 of CentOS/Red Hat is not included in
either distro, because it is broken. Attempts to get to a working known
state are not looking to good. If using it on CentOS/Red Hat version 4,
it will work.

Huge difference. Especially in the configuration files. DHCP.CONF is way
different, as in you can add in options for each client. Version 4 of
ltsp worked booting off of an ethetboot boot image, at least that is
what worked for me. Had no PXE compliant NICs on the clients. Also in
the client bits that get booted you have options to mount devices on the
client machine. There's a configuration file for it. Like for instance
you could specify to mount the scanner that is connected to the client.
I have had no experiance in mounting devices like that with the netboot
package. All you can do is try it and if don't work keep at it.

Using ltsp, the newest version you want be booting CentOS Bits. Will
prolly be Ubuntu, Debian or Suse. If using the netboot package you will
be booting CentOS/Red Hat Bits.

Both of the types in question export directories via NFS to the clients.
Basically it just boils down to both of them doing the same deed, just a
different type of setup situation.
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079