[CentOS] Re: vfs objects = recycle

John jses27 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 18:46:17 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:13 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 4-25-2008 8:04 AM John spake the following:
> > [public]
> >
> >         vfs objects = recycle
> >         recycle:repository = Recycle Bin
> > --------------------------------------
> > Just want to be clear if I use the vfs recycle option does
> > "recycle:repository = Recycle Bin" get put into the the public
> > directory? As I am having a problem with deleting files on a client and
> > then can't empty the trash because of permission problems. Will this
> > solve this issue or do I have problems elsewhere?
> >
> > Keep in mind this is a mixed node network with windows and linux. I'm
> > taking pointers from any one with heavy samba experiance. As I am no
> > samba guy. Also pointers on clustering samba with DFS.
> >

> It gets put in the root of the share that you activate it in. I am not sure if
> you can make it a global option, but maybe.

That's where it gets put. After editing the conf file and putting the
option in.

> I'm not sure of what your issue is, when you say "empty the trash" do you mean
> deleting files from "Recycle Bin"?

Logged in as root on a linux client using share mode can't delete a file
or folder when made by root on the samba server in one of the shares.
That is using the user nobody. Would that be correct as user nobody only
can't delete file made by root n the samba server.

I suspect after really thinking about it I'll be much better of adding
the linux client to Active Directory and do all authentication that way
to solve everything. Then later on setup samba to serve the Windows user
profiles.

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079