[CentOS] Kickstart syntax for CentOS upgrade

Tom Lanyon tom at netspot.com.au
Mon Apr 28 22:37:13 UTC 2008

On 29/04/2008, at 6:27 AM, Alfred von Campe wrote:

> But when I try to install CentOS 5.1 via kickstart, anaconda
> complains that "You have not defined a root partition (/), which is
> required for installation of CentOS to continue".  Has anyone
> successfully installed CentOS 5.X via kickstart and preserved at
> least one partition on a logical volume, and if so, could you please
> share your kickstart file?

Alfred,

This worked fine for me on a 4.6 kickstart I did recently. I can't
remember whether I tried it on 5.x or not, sorry.

bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda
part /boot --onpart=sda1 --fstype=ext3
part swap --onpart=sda2 --fstype=swap
volgroup vg --useexisting
logvol / --useexisting --name=root --vgname=vg --fstype=ext3

Because the volgroup already exists you don't need to define a PV for
it.

Hope this helps, although it doesn't look much different to your config!

Regards,
Tom