[CentOS] Re: Where is cached memory going?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Tue Aug 19 17:06:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 11:50 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> On Tue, August 19, 2008 11:43, Scott Silva wrote:
>
> > (I just dated myself with the DASD comment)

Quit that! Get a girl friend or something!  ;-)

> And branded.
>
> I don't recall that anybody referred to "DASD" connected to our IBM 1401;
> it was just "disk".  Were we just a weird corner (I wouldn't swear they
> didn't use some weird term like DASD in the manuals, just that none of the
> people I worked with used it)?  Or was that a later term, say from the 360
> generation?
>
> (When I worked on the 1401, we were in fact well into the 360 generation
> and we moved from the 1401 to a DEC PDP-11/20 just a couple of years after
> that.)

Ditto here. But our 1401 stuff was being emulated on S360/30. During
that time, DASD became the lazy acronym used extensively to cover any of
the then-extant direct-access devices (drums, cylinders, "disks" -
euphemistically mounted in "pizza ovens (2314/19 IIRC).

--
Bill