[CentOS] Disabling IPv4

Nifty Cluster Mitch niftycluster at niftyegg.com
Wed Aug 20 23:10:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:52:52AM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Darryl Ross wrote:
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> So looks like I am stuck with IPv4 no matter what. Unless there is some
>>> magic glue in rc.sysinit.
>>>

>> Build a custom kernel and remove ipv4 support (or make it a module). It really
>> isn't that hard.
> It really is not worth it.
>
> The desire to disable IPv4 was to clear out any 'confusion' while
> getting apps working on IPv6. Since this is a mobile project using HIP,
> I plan on using Teredo when on networks not providing native IPv6. So at
> some point IPv4 is needed again.
>
> Just an eye-opener that IPv4 is like, forever. At least right now.
>
> But you now, I remember the fights back in the early '90s to get IP into
> OSs.

One item to check and disable is IPv6 tunneling via IPv4.
Today this is the common way to connect to the IPv6 network.
The next thing to chech and flush are any DNS references
for IPv4 resources.

I am not convinced that enough of the common Linux applications
are IPv6 ready to build and run a pure IPv6 test host without a lot of tinkering.
This is a CentOS list and CentOS will lag distros like Fedora and GenToo.

I do recall a host of performance issues a while back with major sites
like yahoo and google where the IPv6 AAAA records and such were missing.
If DNS lookups find both IPv4 and IPv6 answers I am not sure which
dominates and will then trigger a module load.   You may need to build
an isolated IPv6 world.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Got a great hat... now what?