[CentOS] loading modules across reboots

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 16:16:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>You can do this in /etc/modprobe.conf (or /etc/modprobe.d) OR you can
>>create an /etc/rc.modules (for legacy support) OR you can add your
>>bits to /etc/sysconfig/modules/foo.modules.
>
> Jim,
> I did assume modprobe.conf was the correct place and tried a line which didn't
> work. man modprobe.conf shows an "install" line but I am unable to get this to
> work. I was trying to load blkbk for example and tried everything under the sun
> but it wouldn't load. I ended up rolling an initrd with it which worked but I am
> not satisfied that's a good idea, next yum update and its broken!
>
> It looks like install needs "install blkbk /sbin/modprobe blkbk" but this didn't work?

Really, it depends on when this module is needed. If it's for a scsi
controller, or other critical system disk, it needs to be in the
initrd. If it can be loaded after the system is mostly running
(network devices, usb bits, etc) then it can be slapped in other
module locations. What sort of module is blkbk?

George Orwell